Valvoline Express Care Falls Church: Winter Battery
This winter has been full of extreme weather that includes frigid temperatures that the likes of Falls Church, Virginia has not seen in years. Cold weather like this can cause a variety of issues with your motor vehicle. The topic we are going to discuss today is your cars battery.
Valvoline Express Care of Falls Church highly recommends that you have your battery-tested multiple times a year but especially prior to winter. So it is best to have it checked in October/November of each year. The last thing that you want is to be left with a dead battery. On average a car battery will last between 3-5 years based on driving habits and exposure to extreme elements. At Valvoline Express Care of Falls Church we offer a quick diagnostic see if your battery might leave you stranded on the side of the road.
Some of our readers might be interested to know how exactly does a car battery work. I am not going to go into great detail about the process but below you will find an overview:
- It starts with a chemical reaction that puts your car into action. Each battery converts chemical energy into electrical energy that is required to power your car. Essentially delivering voltage to your starter.
- Without your battery your car cannot start but its job does not stop there. It stabilizes the voltage in your engine to make sure everything continues running. Your battery is a vital part of your vehicle so make sure you give it the attention it deserves.
Below are a few warning signs that your battery is going bad:
- Slow engine crank when your turn your key. The best way to describe this is you will hear a “rur rur rur” noise when attempting to start your car.
- This is a given but if your check engine light comes on or if you have a “battery” light on your dash. Make sure you come to Valvoline Express Care of Falls Church anytime your check engine light is on.
- Make sure you have enough battery fluid. Most batteries have a translucent window so you can check it yourself.
- The battery casing has started to bulge
- If you smell something like rotten eggs then this could mean your battery is starting to leak. The liquid inside of the battery is corrosive and could damage your engine.
Not only is it extremely inconvenient when you have a bad battery but it could possibly cause more severe damage then making you late for an appointment. Your entire vehicle is made to depend on a variety of parts so your car operates optimally. So if one part of your vehicle is not performing at 100%, like your battery, it can have adverse effects on other parts of your vehicle. A bad battery can put strain on your electrical system, charging system, starter motor or starter solenoid. Do not allow a bad battery to cause major issues.
We hope that you learned a thing or two. If you want to setup an appointment please give us a call at 703-532-3500.
We are a full service garage that service McLean, Tysons Corner, East Falls Church, West Falls Church, Arlington and are located in the Falls Plaza Shopping Center.
We look forward to serving you.
The Valvoline Team
Valvoline Express Care
1132 W Broad Street
Falls Church, VA 22046
Phone: (703) 532-3500
Fax: (703) 532-3503